Molly Dodd's Classic Peach Pie
- Homemade Pie Crust (full recipe makes 2 crusts: 1 for bottom, 1 for top)
- 3/4 cu + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 3 cu sliced, peeled fresh peaches (about 5)
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the filling: In a large bowl, whisk 3/4 cu granulated sugar, the flour, 1/2 tspn cinnamon, and allspice . With a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula, fold in the peaches. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C)
- Roll out the chilled pie dough: On a floured work surface, roll out one of the discs of chilled dough (keep the 2nd in the refrigerator). Turn the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9x2 inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. Spoon the filling into the crust. Cut the butter into tiny pieces and randomly place on top of the filling.
- Arrange the lattice: Remove the other disc of chilled pie dough from the refrigerator. Roll the dough into a circle that is 12 inches diameter. Using a pastry wheel, sharp knife, or pizza cutter, cut strips one inch wide. Carefully thread the strips over and under one another, pulling back strips as necessary to weave. Press the edges of the strips into the bottom pie crust edges to seal. Use a small paring knife to trim off excess dough. Crimp the edges with a fork, if desired. (Alternatively, you can simply cover the filling with the 12-inch pie dough circle. Cut slits in the top to form steam vents. Trim and crimp the edges.)
- Brush the lattice top with the beaten egg. A very thin coating - you don't want scrambled eggs on top of your dough. Mix the remaining tablespoon of granulated sugar with the 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Sprinkle over crust.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for twenty minutes. Keeping the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 375°F (190°C) and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes. TIP: After the first twenty minutes of bake time, place a pie crust shield on top of the pie to prevent the edges from browning too quickly.
- Allow the pie to cool for 4 full hours at room temperature before serving. This time allows the filling to thicken up. Cover leftovers tightly and refrigerate for up to five days.
Make-ahead tip and freezing tip: This a great pie to make a day in advance. After it cools, cover tightly and keep at room temperature. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving. The pie crust dough can also be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for up to five days, or, frozen for up to three months. Baked pies freeze well for up to three months. Prepared fillings can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Molly Dodd, 2017 Winner, Nutley Peach Pie Contest
Thanks, Molly! :)